I for one had a good weekend. Went went scuba diving Saturday and bagged my first Lion
Did I say Lion? I meant to say Lion FISH!
In case you don’t already know, Lionfish are an INVASIVE SPECIES. Speraguns and spear gun parts are illegal in the Cayman Islands, however you can get issued a license and a speargun for shooting LIONFISH ONLY!
1) Voracious predators being shown to eat native fish and crustaceans in large quantities, including both ecologically and economically important species like grunts, snapper, nassau grouper, and cleaner shrimp
2) Not known to have any native predators
3) Equipped with venomous dorsal, ventral and anal spines, which deter predators and can cause painful wounds to humans
4) Capable of reproducing year-round with unique reproduction mechanisms not commonly found in native fishes (females can reproduce every 4 days!)
5) Relatively resistant to parasites, giving them another advantage over native species
6) Fast in their growth, able to outgrow native species with whom they compete for food and space.
You can read more about Lionfish in the Caribbean HERE. Or do an internet search and you will find vast quantities of information.
Then Sunday The Wife and I had a quiet day by the pool.
Have YE a good week!